Top 33 Papers by Topic
The semantics of word classes and their effects on acquisition of language
- Gentner, D. (1982). Why nouns are learned before verbs: Linguistic relativity versus natural partitioning. In S. A. Kuczaj (Ed.), Language development: Vol. 2. Language, thought and culture (pp. 301-334). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Gentner, D., & Boroditsky, L. (2001). Individuation, relativity and early word learning. In M. Bowerman & S. Levinson (Eds.), Language acquisition and conceptual development (pp. 215-256). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Gentner, D. (2005). The development of relational category knowledge. In L. Gershkoff-Stowe & D. H. Rakison, (Eds.), Building object categories in developmental time. (pp. 245-275). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
Analogy, similarity, metaphor and related topics
Structure-mapping theory and model
- Gentner, D. (1983). Structure-mapping: A theoretical framework for analogy. Cognitive Science, 7, 155-170.
- Falkenhainer, B., Forbus, K. D., & Gentner, D. (1989). The structure-mapping engine: Algorithm and examples. Artificial Intelligence, 41, 1-63.
- Clement, C., & Gentner, D. (1991). Systematicity as a selection constraint in analogical mapping. Cognitive Science, 15, 89-132.
- Gentner, D., & Markman, A. B. (1997). Structure mapping in analogy and similarity. American Psychologist, 52, 45-56. (Reprinted in Mind readings: Introductory selections on cognitive science, by P. Thagard, Ed., 1998, 127-156. MIT Press)
- Structure-mapping in similarity: Similarity is like analogy
- Markman, A. B., & Gentner, D. (1993). Structural alignment during similarity comparisons. Cognitive Psychology, 25, 431-467.
- Markman, A. B., & Gentner, D. (1993). Splitting the differences: A structural alignment view of similarity. Journal of Memory and Language, 32, 517-535.
- Medin, D. L., Goldstone, R. L., & Gentner, D. (1993). Respects for similarity. Psychological Review, 100, 254-278.
- Gentner, D., & Markman, A. B. (1994). Structural alignment in comparison: No difference without similarity. Psychological Science, 5, 152-158.
- Sagi, E., Gentner, D. & Lovett, A. (2012). What difference reveals about similarity. Cognitive Science, 36 (6). 1019-1050.
Similarity in LTM retrieval vs. similarity in reasoning
- Gentner, D., Rattermann, M. J., & Forbus, K. D. (1993). The roles of similarity in transfer: Separating retrieval from inferential soundness. Cognitive Psychology, 25, 524-575.
- Forbus, K. D., Gentner, D., & Law, K. (1995). MAC/FAC: A model of similarity-based retrieval. Cognitive Science, 19, 141-205.
- Gentner, D., Loewenstein, J., Thompson, L., & Forbus, K. (2009) Reviving inert knowledge: Analogical abstraction supports relational retrieval of past events. Cognitive Science, 3, 1343-1382.
Structure-mapping in metaphor and the Career of Metaphor
- Comparison processes in learning and development
- Kotovsky, L., & Gentner, D. (1996). Comparison and categorization in the development of relational similarity. Child Development, 67, 2797-2822.
- Gentner, D., & Medina, J. (1998). Similarity and the development of rules. Cognition, 65, 263-297.
- Gentner, D., & Namy, L. (1999). Comparison in the development of categories. Cognitive Development, 14, 487-513.
- Christie, S. & Gentner, D. (2010). Where hypotheses come from: Learning new relations by structural alignment. Journal of Cognition and Development, 11 (3). 356-373. (Note: This paper was selected for the Journal of Cognition and Development's Editor's Choice Award for 2010)
- Gentner, D. (2010). Bootstrapping the mind: Analogical processes and symbol systems. Cognitive Science, 34 (5). 752-775.
- Relational language supports relational cognition
- Gentner, D., & Rattermann, M. J. (1991). Language and the career of similarity. In S. A. Gelman & J. P. Byrnes (Eds.), Perspectives on thought and language: Interrelations in development (pp. 225-277). London: Cambridge University Press.
- Loewenstein, J., & Gentner, D. (2005). Relational language and the development of relational mapping. Cognitive Psychology, 50, 315-353.
- Gentner, D., Özyürek, A., Gürcanli, Ö., & Goldin-Meadow, S. (2013). Spatial language facilitates spatial cognition: Evidence from children who lack language input. Cognition, 127(3), 318-330.
- Christie, S. & Gentner, D. (2014). Language helps children succeed on a classic analogy task. Cognitive Science, 38. 383-397.
- (also Gentner (2010) listed above)
- Analogical processes in history of science
- Gentner, D., & Jeziorski, M. (1993). The shift from metaphor ¬to analogy in western science. In A. Ortony (Ed.), Metaphor and thought (2nd ed., pp. 447-480). England: Cambridge University Press.
- Gentner, D., Brem, S., Ferguson, R. W., Markman, A. B., Levidow, B. B., Wolff, P., & Forbus, K. D. (1997). Analogical reasoning and conceptual change: A case study of Johannes Kepler. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 6, 3-40.
- Comparison processes in education
- Jee, B. D., Uttal, D. H., Gentner, D., Manduca, C., Shipley, T., Sageman, B., Ormand, C. J., & Tikoff, B. (2010). Analogical thinking in geoscience education. Journal of Geoscience Education, 58 (1), 2-13.
- Gentner, D., Levine, S. C., Dhillon, S., Ping, R., Bradley, C., Isaia, A., & Honke, G. (in press). Rapid learning in a children's museum via analogical comparison. To appear in Cognitive Science.
- Mental models
- Gentner, D., & Gentner, D. R. (1983). Flowing waters or teeming crowds: Mental models of electricity. In D. Gentner & A. L. Stevens (Eds.), Mental models (pp. 99-129). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Gentner, D., & Grudin, J. (1985). The evolution of mental metaphors in psychology: A 90-year retrospective. American Psychologist, 40, 181-192.
- Rottman, B. M., Gentner, D. & Goldwater, M. B. (2012). Causal systems categories: Differences in novice and expert categorization of causal phenomena. Cognitive Science, 36 (5). 919-932.